Today National Junk Food Day is celebrated in the US. Probably it can be called a global holiday, as the junk food culture has already spread all over the world. Some snacks are eaten only in America but even in Belarus we do know how delicious most of them are. We are no more surprised when the appearance of a new snack on the shop shelves immediately causes a surge of popularity.
Amazing research have been made by zippia.com. They have set out to find what each state’s favorite snack is.
After all, snacking is one of workers favorite non-work things to do at work. While it might be lunch o’clock somewhere, most of the day is the snack time.
They used Google Trends and determined which states were the most avid fans of each snack. 45 different favorites have been determined, giving a wide range of beloved foods. By the way, gums and sodas were excluded from a pretend vending machine snack roulette. So finally they selected a range of popular chips, cookies, candies, and a few other vending machine favorites.
And here are some of the most interesting findings of the research:
• Oreos are beloved - 5 states reach for Oreos before anything else.
• All the “itos” chips (Fritos, Doritos, and Cheetos) made the map.
• Missouri’s favorite treat, Grandma’s Cookies are a brand, not their actual grandma’s cookies. Although the authors are sure those are good, too.
• Most snacks were some state’s favorites. But no one likes Butterfingers, Hi-Chews, MMs’s, Reese’s, and Twizzlers the best. This is definite proof that some states’ have crummy taste. Really, Alaska, you’d rather have a granola bar than Reese’s?
• Why does the Midwest like sunflower seeds so much?
• Sweet wins over salty- 29 states’ favorite snack is sweet.
There you have it, each state’s favorite snack. Some are delicious. And some just answer the question, “Who eat PayDays anyways?” (Louisiana, by the way.)
However, it proves there is a snack for everyone.
While you may be trying to avoid the Quarantine 15*, today is National Snack Day. So, maybe today you skip the apple and grab whatever unhealthy snack floats your boat.
*Quarantine 15 is a term used to describe the situation of gaining weight during the quarantine (15 pounds on average).